Monday 3 May 2010

Finished all the orchestra pieces!!

This took a looooong time over Easter but finally all of the orchestra experimentation boards are done!! I think they reallly helped to experiment with the paint, whilst still having music on the brain in the process. I don't think they have quite as much depth as the performance paintings because of them being more representational, but then that's not so disasterous because in this process I learnt a lot about use of mediums in the paint and the huge scope of opportunities that surround paint in the the way you can use them.

As a whole though, I'm not sure they entirely work as an orchestra. When showing it to my parents (musicians), they came to the conclusion which I completely agree with, that, although they work quite well on their own, they emit so much noise, almost like they're tuning up, and don't have a coherence that is generally the essense of an orchestra. Instead of them working together, they make many separate sounds, they almost form pieces of music in their own right, which then becomes the opposite of the function of an orchestra. In this way it correlates to my practice, as it's kind of a warm up, a tuning up for future painting. Anyway, I've taken photos and put them up on the same page because there's a lot of them, but you can click to enlarge to see each one.

No comments:

Post a Comment