Monday 22 March 2010

The Protecting Veil

This painting is based on a piece of music by John Tavener called "The Protecting Veil", performed by Yo-Yo Ma. It's a goooorgeous piece of cello music that is incredibly passionate and emotive, which is why I picked it for this. I wasn't particularly treating this like a proper art performance, but I wanted to create one in this way to experiment, see how it would come out, perhaps to look at whether I would want to change anything like background etc etc. I'm quite pleased with it, but I'm tempted to use acrylics as well as oils, because this used a fair bit of oil paint and it's expensive stuff!

This a link to a youtube video that has and extract from the piece playing in it (if you can, try to listen to the version by Yo-Yo Ma, it's waay better) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkgN9OjMXgw




Below are some photographs of particular areas that happened to be quite interested. I really like playing around with the random results of the human psyche, whilst listening to music, through the medium of paint. I'm DEFINITLY going to have to try this as a performance piece, hooopefully distancing myself from it a bit, so that it's a far more genuine approach, rather than something that has been thought about too much, because it's all about emotion and passion, not thought.









1 comment:

  1. This looks great. Fascinating to see the close up details. Mum really loves the last swirly close up. I like the soft curls all over the picture - like tiny glissandos on notes.

    ReplyDelete